This area is used for instruction only.
To add a new Glossary IP user range:
- Log in
- Go to Components > K2 > Items
- In the list, select Glossary IP user ranges from the Categories dropdown filter.
- Find the Template - Glossary user IP ranges item for further instruction
To clone the template:
- Click "Cancel" top right of this page
- In the items list which loads, select this item's checkbox and click "Copy" top right. You will see "Copy of xyz" now listed. Click this item to edit it.
- Change the title of this item - this title will appear once a user is logged in, so try to keep it factual e.g. WITS LAN users
- Ensure that Glossary user IP ranges is selected as the category
- Assign tags - these are the same tags which you add to a Glossary. For instance, if you want to give these users access to all legal glossaries, go into each glossary and give them a common tag e.g. Legal terms. Then come back here, and use that same tag to link those glossaries with these users.
- Ensure that the article is published.
- Click the Extra Fields tab.
- In the IP range start field, enter a single IP address e.g. 18.104.22.168*. If you just want to authenticate across a single IP address, ignore the next point.
- In the IP range end field, enter an IP address, as above, but with a higher number e.g. 22.214.171.124*. This would allow any IP address between 0 and 100 within that subnet. See below** for setting up client IP ranges.
- Enter an expiry date (if none is supplied, it is assumed that these users can use this glossary indefinitely.)
- Enter a contact person (in case our user is having problems with their IP, or the account has expired***.)
* System has not been tested against IPv6 addresses. Please note that local addresses should be avoided - these typically look like: 127.0.0.1, 10.0.0.x, 192.168.x.x. If your use is supplying an address which looks like this, please ask them to follow the next step.
** If a client doesn't know their IP, or is having problems, you can check their IP by asking them to surf to: http://myacademic.mobi/glossary?get_ip - the IP address will be displayed in a black bar under the page header.
*** If a user is visiting from within a valid IP range, but the account has expired, they can still log in as a regular user, using the original login process.